This, That, and the Other...

Saturday, February 28, 2004

LUNCH

Lunchtime at IIT reminds me of coming to the hostel in scorching heat and then eating hot rajma with rice: the worst thing possible. I used to be already so pissed off with the heat, and eating hot stuff that tasted so bad made lunch a horrible thing. I used to have chapathis sometimes, and they were so bad! They had a completely different taste: no-one can make chapathis like the mess workers. The sambar too was wierd, but okay at times. I never knew how rasam tasted before IIT. After staying for 5 years in tam-land, I still dont know how rasam tastes. The mess rasam used to be some kinda masala water. And the messers (short for mess workers) used to mix sambar and rasam when the quantities were less: imagine the taste of 2 worst liquids u cud ever taste (okay, Dr. Pepper is the worst liquid I've ever tasted..) mixed together!!!!

Mess also reminds of the curd: only our messers cud give such a taste to it. But I still wonder how Narsi, who never used to have curd at home, developed a taste for it! But the good thing abt curd was that it wud cool me down after such a hot and horrible lunch. Sometimes it wudnt b enuf, and I had to get badam milk (yummy!) or cooldies. Cooldie's were kinda leisure drinks back then, but they r such common here. My day cant pass unless I have some coke or juice. Water? Not much!

Some of the most jobless times in my life were when I stood in long queues in mess on saturday afternoons waiting for pooris. Either my mind was blank, or was thinking "When will the freaking pooris come?" or just farting with some farters. The day was reserved for relaxing, and there was not much to look forward to, except going back to sleep after lunch and the OAT movie at night (ooooooh yeah!). I continue the same habit here: I had a lazy lunch now, there's nothing going on in my mind, except "When am I going to take my nap?". Nothing to look forward to today.... another saturday wasted!

Lunch is okay here. Used to have lunch in the school canteen on weekdays. The food was mostly pizza or burger with coke, and I had to spend 5 bucks daily on the grub! The good thing abt grubbing in the canteen was bird-watching: there were so many babes there, and it was pure pleasure looking at them sitting in a canteen. I used to go with my friends and sit there even after finishing my lunch so that I cud have a good look of the babes there! I soon got tired of the grub, and spending daily (but not the bird watching). Finally decided on packing canteen, and now I eat grub at home daily. Thanks to my laptop, I dont have to rush back to school for work after lunch!

Weekend lunch is painful. I make the saturday lunch, and waste a lot of time prepapring it. Home lunch is totally normal: rice with dal or curry while watching tv (mostly jerry springer), but will be glad if I cud discover a new dish that tastes good and gets ready fast... will make it on all aftis, and will also recommend it to the messers :P

thats enuf for lunch... i'm full.. gotta get a nap....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home